Start the spring and summer swim season off right by implementing these water safety tips:
• Never swim alone, always use the buddy system regardless of age.
• At parties, assign a designated “Water Watcher” whose responsibility is to monitor the number of people in the pool and be prepared for an emergency.
• The designated “Water Watcher” should not be engaged in conversation, eating, or drinking alcohol. They should have a phone available pool side to call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.
• The “Water Watcher” should be an adult. They should take turns with other adults at the gathering in 20-30 minute intervals.
• Avoid “horse play” around the pool to prevent injuries.
• When it is time for everyone to get out of the pool, secure the pool area by ensuring that pool gates are closed, and that all swimmers are accounted for and out of the pool area.
A drowning can happen to anyone at any time but the only way to ensure that everyone has a safe experience in the water is to supervise children around and in the water. Here’s to a safe swim season!