Golder Ranch Fire District

Much of the technology in our homes is very useful and makes our everyday lives easier. Occasionally, a lack of attention to detail or carelessness can put our families at risk for electrocution or even a fire. The following electrical safety tips should be used to help prevent your family from injury. 

• Only plug one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) into a receptacle outlet at a time. 

• Buy only appliances that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory. 

• Replace cracked and damaged electrical cords. 

• Avoid pinching cords against walls or furniture or running them under carpets or across doorways. This can cause a fire. 

• Use extension cords for temporary wiring only. 

• Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.

• Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.

• If an appliance is malfunctioning, unplug it if it is safe to do so. If necessary, cut off power by unscrewing a fuse or turning off the circuit breaker. 

• Keep ladders away from overhead power lines including the electrical service into your home.

• Report downed power lines to authorities.    

Sponsored content

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.