The old saying, “you are what you eat” is true. Today’s health care professionals all agree: it’s possible to reduce your risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, and even certain types of cancer by simply looking at your current diet.
Top 10 Power Foods
1. Whole Grains – Three daily servings of whole grains can help reduce the risk of heart disease (by 25 to 36 percent); stroke (by 37 percent); and diabetes (by 21 to 27 percent.)
2. Yogurt – Source of probiotics, the “friendly” bacteria that fight illness and disease.
3. Salmon – Source of omega-3 fatty acids to preserve bone density.
4. Walnuts – Source of omega-3 fatty acids; reduce the risk of heart disease and high blood pressure.
5. Blueberries – Highest levels of disease-fighting antioxidants (out of 40 fruits and vegetables.)
6. Beans – Source of protein and antioxidants; provides fiber to help prevent colon cancer.
7. Tomatoes – Regular consumption can decrease risk of prostate cancer by up to 35 percent.
8. Apples – Can be more effective in fighting lung disease than other fruits.
9. Ginger – For nausea; helpful in fighting morning sickness and queasy stomachs.
10. Red Grapes – Contain polyphenols, which help fight heart disease.
Mather LifeWays is a unique, non-denominational not-for-profit organization that enhances the lives of older adults by creating Ways to Age Well.SM Learn more about our award-winning research at Mather LifeWays Institute on Aging, our senior living residences, and our community initiatives.
(Editor’s Note: Brought to you by Mather LifeWays Institute on Aging www.matherlifeways.com | (847) 492.7500