A listing of area recreational activities for the coming the week.
Wednesday, Sept. 24
• Registration continues for Oro Valley’s Winter Hoops youth program, with games beginning around Thanksgiving. More information is available online at http://www.ci.oro-valley.az.us/PkRec/Recreation/Hoops.htm">www.ci.oro-valley.az.us/PkRec/Recreation/Hoops.htm.
Friday, Sept. 26
• Desert plants have been used for centuries for food, fibers, medicine and building materials. Learn how humans have utilized local flora during a Desert Plant Uses Walk with noted Pima County naturalist Meg Quinn. Details: 8 to 10 a.m.; Pima County Feliz Paseos Park, 1600 N. Camino de Oeste; free for all ages; for more information or to RSVP, call 615-7855 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, Sept. 27
• Hop out of bed and join the Fleet Feet and Tucson Medical Center at the “Reverse the Course” 5.5- and 11-mile trail race at Catalina State Park! Spectacular views, awards, free shirts, breakfast and more await racers of all ages. Details: 6:30 a.m.; last-minute registration at Fleet Feet, 6538 E. Tanque Verde Road; $35-$50; for more information or to RSVP, go online to http://www.everyoneruns.net">www.everyoneruns.net.
• Observe and discuss the diversity of wildlife, fish and plants at Agua Caliente Park’s riparian areas during a guided Saturday Nature Stroll. Details: 9 to 10 a.m.; Pima County Agua Caliente Park, 12325 E. Roger Road; free for all ages; for more information, call 615-7855 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Outdoor frontier skills promote self-esteem and personal growth. Fire making, hiking, navigation, survival and shelter building will be covered during Marana Parks and Recreation’s Family Frontier Skills course. To encourage family bonding, the fee covers a guardian and teenager. Details: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; location available on registration; Marana residents $68, others $85; for more information, call 382-1950.
Sunday, Sept. 28
• Members of the Oro Valley Mixed Doubles Tennis Group seek a few good backhands. Details: 7 a.m.; $5 ball fee every 10 weeks; Ironwood Ridge High School tennis courts, 2475 W. Naranja Drive; for more information, call 575-0829.
Tuesday, Sept. 30
• Align your inner being with Hatha Yoga classes taught by local instructor Kathy Covington. The ongoing classes teach principles that can be used at your desk or even while shopping. Details: 9 to 10:15 a.m.; Oro Valley Rec Room, 11143 N. La Cañada, Suite 107; $10 per class; for more information, call 229-5050.