Three years later – What Obamacare has really done - Northwest Chatter - Explorer

back Side Panel

Three years later – What Obamacare has really done

1 image

Richard D. Brinkley


“We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what’s in it . . .,“ claimed Nancy Pelosi, in a fleeting lucid moment. The bill was passed. What was in it?

First, we find that revenue was front-end loaded to make Obamacare look less costly. Three years later, we are finding that Obamacare costs $3 trillion instead of less than $1 trillion over 10 years: a 245-percent accounting error by the controlling political party.=

Second, your God-given right to choose your own health care option has been denied to you, stolen from you, by a president and politicians who think they know better than you what kind of health care you need.

As economist Thomas Sowell stated, “government health care will not reduce the cost; it will simply refuse to pay the cost.” This is precisely the major complaint of doctors and hospitals regarding Medicaid and Medicare. It is precisely the cause of cost-shifting by providers. The Independent Payment Advisory Board (“death panel”) is the ultimate cost-shift.

Third, it took Obamacare longer (43 months from the date he signed the bill in March 2010) to build an amateurish, dysfunctional healthcare website than it took the United States, after being attacked at Pearl Harbor, to recruit and build credible military forces, to manufacture all military and naval infrastructure, to finally invade Europe, and to conquer the Nazi scourge and Adolf Hitler (42 months, from December 1941 to May 1945).

Fourth, instead of spending $677 million (through Oct. 31, 2013) on a dysfunctional healthcare website, that after having major fixes still does not operate correctly, Obama could have used existing electronic portals of each participating health to enroll subscribers and saved $677 million.

 Fifth, 90 days into Obamacare enrollment, Obamacare has allegedly “enrolled” two million people while six million people have had their health plans canceled. This translates into a negative four million-enrollment deficit. And Democrats are celebrating? Meanwhile, the administration refuses to provide real enrollment numbers.

Sixth, instead of destroying health care for 85 percent of Americans, in order to provide health care for the remaining 15 percent, Obama could have placed the 15 percent in Medicaid at far less cost than $3 trillion. Instead, Obamacare costs $3 trillion and after it’s up and running, 15 percent of Americans will still be uninsured.

Seventh, the president promised that, “If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Period.” We now know this was a bald-faced lie.

Eighth, the president promised that, “If you like your health plan, you can keep your health plan. Period.”  We now know this was a bald-faced lie.

Ninth, the president promised that Obamacare “will save every average family $2,500 on their premiums.” We now know this was a bald-faced lie.

Tenth, Obama promised that Obamacare will strengthen the private market by forcing millions of “new” customers to buy government insurance or pay a penalty. Forcing health care companies to accept lower premiums is nothing less than price control, i.e., socialism and health care rationing that weaken rather than strengthen the market.

Eleventh, the president said that Obamacare wouldn’t cut Medicare benefits. Yet, democrats removed $500 billion in Medicare funding (to support Obamacare) and defunded Medicare Advantage, eventually forcing about 25 percent of seniors off of Medicare Advantage. To what end?

Twelfth, in a recent town hall meeting, with elected officials from the state and county, a gentleman stood up and stated that Nancy Pelosi stated, “We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what’s is in it . . .,“  The gentleman then said, “That’s what my doctor said about stool samples.”  You have to pass it in order to see what was in it.

Ah, the perfect analogy.

1 image

Richard D. Brinkley