New trial for OV man in slaying - Tucson Local Media: Pima Pinal

New trial for OV man in slaying

Juror in case of Paul Beam did not disclose personal history with domestic violence

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:00 pm

A judge in Pima County Superior Court has ruled that the first-degree murder conviction of an Oro Valley man should be thrown out, and a new trial begun.

Judge Clark W. Munger, in a ruling dated May 4, granted a motion for new trial filed by an attorney representing Paul Beam.

"In this case the right to a fair and impartial trial is of such constitutional magnitude, however, that the law requires a retrial," Munger wrote.

On Nov. 25, 2009, Beam, 36, was convicted for killing his girlfriend Lisa Berrie, 25. He was later sentenced to a prison term of 25 years to life in prison.

The couple lived in an Oro Valley apartment with Berrie's eight-year-old son from a previous relationship and four-year-old daughter they had together. Both children were home when Beam killed their mother.

At the time of Beam's conviction in February, his attorney, Darlene Edminson-O'Brien, requested a new trial based on information that one of the jurors was dishonest during jury selection.

Along with other jurors, Diane Urquides was asked questions about her personal experiences with violent crime, and specifically domestic violence. While Urquides was truthful in part, telling the court that an uncle had been convicted of murder, she did not reveal that she and her boyfriend had a turbulent relationship and a history of domestic violence.

Between 2001 and 2006, Urquides filed for two orders of protection against her boyfriend. He in turn filed for orders of protection against Urquides on three occasions.

Beam's defense attorney discovered the discrepancy in the juror's answers to pretrial questioning after Beam was convicted of first-degree murder.

"The court finds that Juror Urquides willfully withheld information that a reasonable person would consider highly probative to the issue of fairness and impartiality," Munger wrote.

During the trial, Beam never denied killing Berrie. He admitted that the couple had fought on Aug. 12, 2008, the night he killed Berrie.

An autopsy report and photos shown during the trial revealed that Berrie was badly beaten before she was strangled. Beam said he didn't recall hitting her.

The judge plans to formally vacate Beam's conviction on May 17. A new trial date has not been sent.

In a related issue, Berrie's parents, Marc and Linda Berrie, have filed a claim against Beam, his father Billy Don Beam and his stepmother Georgina Margan-Smith.

The complaint claims that Billy Don Beam, who arrived at the crime scene after his son called him, was at fault for Lisa's death because his attempts to revive Lisa with CPR were done in bad faith.

The Berries seek compensatory and punitive damages and legal fees. Lisa's children are also named as plaintiffs in the suit.

© 2016 Tucson Local Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.

Clutch - X-Ray Visions

More Featured Videos

Featured Videos

Spacer4px

Online poll

The Marana capital improvements improvements are expected to take years to complete as Marana finds the best plan of action to complete the projects and fund the improvements. Do you think this is a good idea?

The town of Marana is looking at ways to do capital improvements to the oldest neighborhoods in Marana. Over the next few months the town will survey older neighborhoods and see what amenities they need and form a plan to make sure neighborhoods have paved roads, sidewalks, adequate drainage, lighting and even pocket parks. “We want to make sure that every neighborhood has a base standard for infrastructure,” said Marana Town Manager Gilbert Davidson. The improvements are expected to take years to complete as Marana finds the best plan of action to complete the projects and fund the improvements. Do you think this is a good idea?

Total Votes: 11

Loading…

How do you feel about a potential memorial art project to honor our community’s bravest men and women?

During the Jan. 20 town council meeting, a vote was unanimously passed to look into the feasibility of a “Memorial Public Art Project,” at the request of Oro Valley resident Dick Eggerding to potentially be placed somewhere in the town to honor military veterans and first responders. Though no concrete plans were then ready to act on, there was a show of overwhelming support for such project from residents and staff alike during the council meeting. In an effort to poll to community at-large, The Explorer would like to know how you feel about a potential memorial art project to honor our community’s bravest men and women.

Total Votes: 20

Loading…

Follow us on Facebook