Smoke detectors save family of 5 and guests - Tucson Local Media: Pima Pinal

Smoke detectors save family of 5 and guests

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Smoke detectors awoke a family of five and their five sleepover house guests early Saturday after a fire began in the garage of the home and spread deadly smoke into the house.

Northwest Fire District crews responded at 5:21 a.m. to a house at 3864 W. Argo near Linda Vista and Thornydale roads. Upon arrival the first engine crew found the entire group safely outside the house, along with the family dog. Fire crews took 10 minutes to get the fire under control.

The majority of the damage was to the garage and cars within the garage. The interior of the home sustained moderate smoke damage.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, occurring near the water heater located in the garage. 

Northwest's public information officer, Captain Adam Goldberg, noted the parents of the sleepover guests, aged between 12 and 13, were all notified, and that the remaining children, aged 11 to 18, are related to the house's owners.

The fire was the first house fire for Northwest' newest station — 39 — that opened last month and the first engine company from that station arrived within six minutes, according to Goldberg, preventing the fire from spreading any farther.

Goldberg reminded homeowners to regularly check smoke detectors and replace the batteries at least once a year.

© 2016 Tucson Local Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.

PGA Tour Superstore Grand Opening

More Featured Videos

Featured Videos

Spacer4px

Online poll

What do you think should happen with Som and Krystin Lisaius' child?

Som and Krystin Lisaius, two members of Tucson’s local media scene, have found themselves in a deeply troubling situation after taking their 4-month-old daughter to a local hospital, where cocaine was found the child’s system.

Total Votes: 127

Loading…
Loading…

Follow us on Facebook