Thursday, Oct. 8
• Gary Paul Nabhan, research social scientist in the University of Arizona, will speak about Restoring Place-Based Foods to Our Tables: Fostering Regional Food Security in a Time of Economic and Climatic Change. Details: 12-1:30 p.m.; Arizona Inn, 2200 E. Elm; $35; 621-4090.
• Oracle School Board will meet. Details: 6:30 p.m.; Oracle Ridge School, 725 Carpenter Drive; free; 896-3072.
• Northwest Republicans will meet to discuss Arizona Health Insurance Reform with guest speakers Rep. Nancy Barto and Brenda Burns, former speaker of the House and candidate for Arizona Corporate Commission. Details: 6:30-8:30 p.m.; Heritage Highlands Clubhouse/Ballroom; free; 275-5836.
• Think. Talk. Take Action: A Community Gathering for Youth will meet with adult community leaders. Details: 6-10 p.m.; Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress Street; free; 615-2100.
• Sierra Club will hold a public meeting to discuss the potential leasing and development of oil-shale and tar-sands mining and processing, primarily on public lands in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming. Details: 7-8:30 p.m.; Volunteer Center of Southern Arizona, 924 N. Alvernon Way; free; 326-7883.
• The Oro Valley Parks and Recreation Advisory Board will meet. Details: 6:30-8 p.m.; Calle Concordia Conference Room, 680 W. Calle Concordia; free; 229-4700.
Tuesday, Oct. 13
• The Pima County Board of Supervisors will meet. Details: 9 a.m.; supervisor's hearing room, first floor, Pima County Administration Building, 130 West Congress Street; for more information, call 740-8126.