Police reports - Tucson Local Media: Pima Pinal

Police reports

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, November 1, 2010 11:00 pm

On Wednesday, Oct 27, at 12:17 p.m., Oro Valley police responded to the west parking lot at Canyon Del Oro High School in reference to two students found in a vehicle. When police arrived, they found one student sitting on the back of a golf cart and the other student sitting on the curb in front of a car. As the officer approached, he could smell marijuana. After telling the students that he was going to search the car and their pockets, he asked if he was going to find anything that they should not have. They both said, "yes." One of the students pulled a prescription medication bottle from his pocket, which had marijuana inside. In the center console of the car, police found a small water bong with marijuana residue inside. Both students were arrested, one for possession of marijuana, the other for possession of drug paraphernalia. Police cited the students and released them to their parents.

On Tuesday, Oct. 26, at 6:37 a.m., Oro Valley police responded to the wash on the south side of Copper Creek Elementary School in response to a fire. An 8-year-old student, who was attending class in a portable classroom near the wash, noticed the fire. Golder Ranch firefighters had already extinguished the small brush fire when police arrived. Firefighters said the fire was purposely set and found a disposable lighter near the burned area. A similar fire had been reported in the same area the day prior. Students and teachers told police that two fifth-graders frequently play in the wash area where the fires were set. Police questioned the two students who denied setting the fire and claimed to have no knowledge of the incident. No one was arrested or cited.

On Monday, Oct. 25, shortly after 3 p.m., Oro Valley police met with a couple at the police department who said someone tried to scam them. The couple said a man called and said, "Grandpa!" The man didn't recognize the voice, but asked if it was one of his grandsons by name. The man said it was and told them that he was in jail and needed $2,000 for bail money. Another man then got on the phone claiming to be a Canadian police officer and said the bail and fines would cost $4,875. The couple went to a store to send the money via Western Union. The store manager told the couple this was a scam. They verified this by calling their real grandson, who was asleep in bed. The couple did not send the money and have not heard back from the subjects. No arrests were made.

© 2017 Tucson Local Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.

PGA Tour Superstore Grand Opening

More Featured Videos

Featured Videos


Online poll



Follow us on Facebook