Paralympic Athletes from Tucson will be the highlight of a special evening Pima Community College is hosting on Nov. 25 to prompt discussion about adding an adaptive athletics program at the College.
Team USA in Tucson: Meet the Athletes, which is free and open to the public, features four members of U.S. Paralympics teams:
- Chad Cohn – U.S. Paralympic Wheelchair Rugby Team
- Derrick Helton – U.S. Paralympic Wheelchair Rugby Team
- Jenny Goeckel – U.S. Paralympic Wheelchair Track and Field Team
- Jennifer Poist – U.S. Paralympic Wheelchair Basketball Team
The athletes will be part of a panel that discusses the benefits and demands of adaptive athletics. The discussion follows a screening of the Academy Award-nominated “Murderball,” a 2005 documentary about the USA Wheelchair Rugby Team’s pursuit of the 2004 Paralympics Gold Medal.
- What: Team USA in Tucson: Meet the Athletes
- When: Nov. 25, 2013, 5:30-8 p.m.
- Where: Amethyst Room – PCC Downtown Campus, 1255 N. Stone Ave.
- Cost: Free
- Info: 520-206-4999
“These individuals are inspiring because of the work and dedication they have invested into their craft,” said Dr. Dolores Durán-Cerda, PCC Senior Assistant to the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, who oversees Disabled Student Resources for the College.
Durán-Cerda said she hopes that by featuring world-class athletes, PCC will be able to build interest in adaptive athletics in the College and community.
Light refreshments provided.