Northwest Fire crews were dispatched at 0631 today to the Casas Adobes Pet Clinic for a possible Isoflourane gas leak. Isoflourane is an anesthetic used during pet surgeries. Arriving early to open the clinic, an employee heard the “hissing” of the gas, experienced burning to her eyes, and noted slight dizziness. She immediately evacuated the clinic and called 9-1-1.

The responding Hazardous Materials team made entry into the clinic with air monitor equipment and found the Isoflourane tank intact, but located a large oxygen cylinder that had been left open and was empty. Oxygen readings in the area were high. The team deployed ventilation operations to bring the environment into safe levels and declared the incident stabilized.

According to Captain Steve Noble with Northwest Fire’s Hazardous Materials Response Team, “The employee did exactly the right thing by realizing the potential hazard, evacuating the area immediately and calling 911.”

The clinic was expected to open to on time with no interruptions of service. The employee who reported the incident was assessed at the scene and required no further treatment.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.