PCC East Campus raises $4,334 for high school equivalency testing fees - Tucson Local Media: News

PCC East Campus raises $4,334 for high school equivalency testing fees

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:00 am

A May fundraiser by Pima Community College’s East Campus Student Services Center and PCC Adult Education raised $4,334 to help students cover fees for high school equivalency certificate testing.

That will cover more than 120 scholarships, said High School Equivalency Testing Scholarship Fundraiser organizer Denise Turner, an East Campus Student Services Advanced Specialist. In Arizona, to earn a high school equivalency (HSE) certification, you must pass all four of the GED Testing Service exams, which cover science, social studies, math and language arts. The fee set by the testing service and state of Arizona is $35 for each exam or $140 or all four. PCC does not charge additional testing fees.

Turner said businesses, members of the public and PCC employees donated items, including clothing, furniture and household goods, to the fundraiser, which was comprised of a rummage sale, silent auction, barbecue and bake sale.

Business donors included Barnes and Noble, Biosphere 2, Goodwill of Tucson and Southern Arizona, Jim Click Automotive Team, Krikawa Jewelry Designs, O’Leary Construction LLC, Sam Levitz Furniture and Unique Identity Salon. Items not sold were picked up by Goodwill.

In addition, four people, including businessman Jim Click, donated money. Click donated $140 to cover the cost of one set of high school equivalency tests, and called on other Tucson businesses to match his contribution.

Nearly 50 PCC volunteers, as well as five PCC students and five members of the public also volunteered during the two-day event, which served more than 200 customers.

The college will keep the scholarship open for on-going and future events.

Of the approximately 6,000 PCC Adult Education students, approximately 3,600 are pursuing a HSE certification.


To learn more about earning a high school equivalency certificate in Arizona, go to www.azed.gov/adultedservices/general-ed-development.

© 2017 Tucson Local Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.

Featured Videos


Online poll



Follow us on Facebook