Smoke detectors helped save the human occupants of a Catalina home from a fire yesterday, but their family pets were not as fortunate.

On Oct. 17 at about 4:30 p.m., crews from the Golder Ranch Fire District responded to a reported house fire in the 4200 block of E. Pinto, near Columbus.

Firefighters were met by the resident, who told them she had returned home from work to find her house full of smoke and the smoke detectors sounding.

The resident also told the crews that she had opened a bedroom door and found the room filled with heat and smoke. She then closed the door and left the building.

Firefighters entered the house, where they found smoke and charring around the same door that the resident had closed. When they entered the room, the crews found heavy smoke with moderate heat.

It appeared the fire had burnt itself out prior to the firefighters' arrival. Crews investigated further and found that two of the family's pets had perished inside the structure.

The fire was contained to a single bedroom because the closed door prevented the fire from spreading and smoke detectors alerted the occupants to possible danger.

Golder Ranch Fire District reminds the public to have a working smoke detector in their home and to change the batteries yearly.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.