Northwest Fire District firefighters were called to a fire in the 6100 block of North Camino De La Tierra just before midnight after several 9-1-1 calls were received into the communications center.
The first arriving engine company found a shed within a back yard at 6137 N. Camino De La Tierra was fully involved with fire and the fire had spread into the home adjacent to the shed.
Initial crews brought multiple hose lines into the primary double-wide mobile home to stop the fire travel.
Due to significant hoarding like conditions within the backyard that fed the fires intensity, freighters were unable to stop the fast moving blaze from reaching the attic space.
Safety concerns of an unstable roof forced firefighters to evacuate the primary building and begin a defensive attack on the structure. Additional crews arrived and were placed into positions to surround the fire from all sides.
Crews were placed west of the primary building fire on Peppertree Lane and found that an additional single-wide mobile home approximately 30 feet from the primary structure that had become involved as a result of the large amount of fire and heat generated by the amount of debris within the backyard. Firefighters were able to enter the secondary exposure building (6130 North Peppertree Lane) and extinguish the fire.
A second alarm was brought into the scene to assist with extinguishment of the fire. The process to overhaul the fire to ensure that all of the “hot spots” to both buildings and the yards were completely extinguished would be a process that required a number of crews. A total of 5 engines, 2 ladder trucks and a number of support vehicles were able to extinguish the fire within an hour. Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to 2 additional adjacent mobile homes on either side of the original fire building.
The primary structure on CDLT was occupied by a 71 year-old female and her 48 year-old son. The second structure involved was occupied by a 55 year-old male. Both trailers were considered total losses and all residents were being assisted by the Northwest Fire Districts Community Assistance Team and the Southern Arizona chapter of the American Red Cross.
Northwest Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature. The cause of the fire was an unattended warming/recreational fire that was started by the son/occupant of the primary fire building in the backyard. Damages were estimated to be approximately $140,000 for both homes and content.
No injuries to occupants or firefighters were reported.