Oro Valley

On Saturday, March 3, at 9:45 a.m. Oro Valley police met with a man at the department’s main station who wanted to report an act of fraud. The man said late last year he met a woman online who was from Russia. He sent the supposed woman $850 for a new computer via Western Union. The man then sent her $1,100 for travelers’ insurance. Last month, he sent her $2,100 for plane ticket to travel to the U.S. and stay for a few months. She then told him she was detained by I.N.S. at the airport and said they required her to show that she had enough money to support herself while she was in the county, so he sent her $5,856. He was then contacted by someone who claimed to be from the Moscow Police at the airport saying the woman had been mugged and robbed of all of her money. They told him that his number was the only one she had in her cellphone. He then remembered that she told him that she didn’t have cellphone. Police told the man they believed that this was scheme where they use a person’s emotional attachment and a series of misfortunes to take money from someone. Since the incident crossed state and international lines, Oro Valley Police would not investigate, but recorded the incident and told the man to contact the FBI and National White Collar Crime Center.

On Thursday, March 1, at 7:14 p.m., Oro Valley police responded to the Play-It-Again Sports at 7963 N. Oracle Road in response to an intoxicated man pulling on the store’s doors. When police arrived, the man was very intoxicated and unable to stand on his own without falling. Police tried to contact a member of his family but were unable to reach anyone. The man was transported to Compass Behavioral Heath Care at Ajo and Forgess without incident.

On Wednesday, Feb. 29, police met with a woman who said her ex-boyfriend was stalking her. She told police he had sent messages, through Facebook, to her family asking how to get in touch with her. She told police she had full custody of their child and broke up 3 and half years ago because he was abusive. She told police the man had called and sent her messages, so she changed her number. She said neighbors have seen cars drive slowly by her house and then into an alley past her house on several occasions. Police told the woman they would talk to him, tell him about the allegations and ask him to stop all contact with her. She told police she did not want that but just wanted the incidents documented.

On Tuesday, Feb. 28, at 8:46 p.m., Oro Valley police responded to a report of threats at 10950 N La Cañada Dr. The caller said a former employee was saying he was going to drive over and assault him. The reportee told police that he and the other man had been in an argument throughout the evening stemming from a customer complaint. The man who made the threats wanted his laptop and last paycheck, and told the man that he was going to beat him up. When the man arrived, police gave him his laptop and he left without incident.

On Sunday, Feb. 26, at about 12:42 a.m., Oro Valley police saw a BMW swerving all over the road, crossing the white outside line and not maintaining a constant speed. After police turned on their emergency lights, the car traveled another quarter of a mile before pulling over. The driver and his passenger said they did not have identification, but the driver said he has a suspended license. When asked why his eyes were red and watery, the driver told police because his brother was recently shot and was at the hospital. The man then performed and failed field sobriety tests and was arrested for DUI. When police took the man to a holding cell, he refused to submit a blood draw. After getting a warrant about 15 minutes later, police took two tubes of blood and transported him to Pima County Adult Detention Center. He was cited for DUI, impaired to the slightest degree, DUI with a Blood Alcohol Content above .08, driving with alcohol in system under 21 years of age, driving on a suspended license, possession of a suspended license, along with multiple traffic violations.


On Feb. 26, at 6:40 a.m., Marana police responded to a call in reference to a stolen potted plant. The responding officer made contact with the reporting person, who stated the plant was last seen in his front yard on Feb. 25 between 9:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m. The value of the plant was estimated at $30. No suspects have been identified. Victim’s Rights were issued to the resident.

On Feb. 26 at 12:28 p.m., Marana police responded to call in reference to stolen decorative rocks. The responding officer made telephonic contact with a member of the neighborhood’s Homeowner’s Association. The individual said another member of the neighborhood contacted him after witnessing a black Nissan Titan stop near some decorative rocks. The driver, along with the help of two juveniles, loaded up one of the large rocks, estimated at $100 in value, into the bed of the truck. The neighbor took photographs of the individuals and the vehicle. Further follow-up will be conducted if it is determined the Homeowner’s Association wishes to press charges.

On Feb. 26, at 12:36 p.m., Marana police responded to a Wal-Mart location in reference to a shoplifter in custody. The responding officer made contact with the suspect’s husband in the parking lot, at which point a Wal-Mart Asset Protection employee informed the officer the individual was involved in the shoplifting. The AP employee told the officer he observed the female subject enter the electronics department, select multiple DVD’s from the sales rack, and place them in her purse, while her husband blocked her from passing customers and cameras. The female subject was detained at the front of the store. The individuals were cited with criminal trespassing and shoplifting.

On Feb. 27, at 4:40 p.m., an individual met with Marana police at the Marana Police Department to report two fraudulent checks cashed with her bank account number and name on them. The individual told police she noticed the money missing from her account, upon which her bank provided her with copies of the checks and advised she create a police report for the incident. Police issued the individual with Victim’s Rights and the case number.

On March 1, Marana police responded to a call regarding a stolen cell phone. The responding officer made contact with the victim, who stated she was in school and left her phone in her bag. After she left her seat for a while, the individual returned and noticed her phone was missing. She gave police a description of the individual who was sitting next to her, who had since left for work. The individual later made contact with the officer, and denied his involvement in the incident. Victim’s rights were mailed to the victim.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.