A carelessly discarded cigarette was the cause of a balcony fire last night at the 1300 block of West Lambert Lane in Oro Valley. Slightly before 7:30 yesterday evening, firefighters from the Golder Ranch and Northwest Fire Districts responded to the Oro Vista Apartments after a resident saw flames on the balcony of their third floor apartment. The sprinkler system activated quickly brining the fire under control as units arrived on scene. The presence and proper function of the sprinkler system kept the fire from spreading, which minimized damaged and resulted in no residents being displaced.
“It is incidents such as these that highlight the importance of sprinkler systems in multi-family dwellings,” states Golder Ranch Fire Chief Randy Karrer. “Without them, the fire could have quickly spread to other units, causing greater damage and an increased threat to lives of the residents.” Golder Ranch Fire Investigators estimate the dollar loss from this fire at $1,500.
Golder Ranch Fire District would like to remind everyone to be careful when discarding smoking materials or any other item that could start a fire. With temperatures climbing and the current dry conditions, the fire danger is very high. Please visit our website at www.grfdaz.gov for more information.