"Safe Treats" are returning to the streets of Oro Valley this Halloween, which is Sunday, Oct. 31.
"Trick-or-treating" is always anticipated by children, and always a concern for parents.
This year, the Oro Valley Police Department and the Oro Valley Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #53 have partnered again to bring "Safe Treats" to many neighborhoods beginning at dusk.
Oro Valley Police Explorers have spent hours loading more than 3,000 bags of candy which will be handed out to neighborhoods all over Oro Valley. Oro Valley Police officers and civilians, OVPD Explorer Post and OVPD citizen volunteers will be patrolling in fully marked police vehicles, handing out bags of candy.
"This is a time for the Oro Valley Police employees to mingle with the Oro Valley community as well as keep the streets safe," a release said.
Safety tips to protect children include:
• Wear light clothing that's short enough to prevent tripping;
• Make sure children can see well through their masks;
• Have an adult accompany children;
• Carry a flashlight / glow sticks;
• Stay within neighborhoods that you are familiar with;
• Examine all candy;
• Beware of pets and snakes.