Fifty-two businesses and four business leaders in Southern Arizona have been selected as finalists for the Tucson Metro Chamber Copper Cactus Awards presented by Wells Fargo.
“The vast majority of businesses in our area are small businesses and the vast majority of the investors in the Tucson Metro Chamber are small businesses. The Chamber is proud to recognize small business for the big contribution they make to our local economy through the Copper Cactus Awards,” said Michael Varney, Tucson Metro Chamber president and CEO. “Starting and operating a small business is quite a challenge. We are pleased to celebrate small businesses who are making a difference in our community.”
The Copper Cactus Awards celebrate the accomplishments and innovation of Southern Arizona's small businesses for their work environment, growth, community stewardship, innovation and leadership.
Award categories include:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Best Place to Work honors businesses that encourage and support professional growth, education and development for employees.
- CopperPoint Small Business Leader of the Year honors exceptional leadership by a manager or owner who is active in the day-to-day activities of his or her company.
- Cox Business Growth honors small businesses that successfully tackle marketplace challenges.
- Nextrio Innovation through Technology honors businesses that are technology-led and/or look to IT to solve problems and increase efficiency.
- Tucson Electric Power Charitable Non-Profit Business honors outstanding charitable non-profits for their exceptional leadership, company culture, business growth and innovation.
Nominations were submitted by members of Southern Arizona’s community in support of locally owned small businesses, business leaders and charitable non-profit businesses. To qualify for an award, finalists had to meet the following criteria:
- · For-profit business
- · More than two years in operation
- · Locally owned and operated
- 250 or fewer employees
Charitable Non-Profit Business Award nomination criteria
· 501 (c)(3) charitable non-profit business operating in Southern Arizona
· More than two years in operation
· Total revenue: $50,000 - $9,999,999
2014 Copper Cactus Awards Finalists include:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Best Place to Work
- Aqua Star International
- Casa de la Luz Hospice
- Children’s Orthopedic Specialists
- HJ3 Composite Technologies
- Patio Pools & Spas
- Pima Dermatology
- Remedy Intelligent Staffing
- Tanque Verde Ranch
- TCI Wealth Advisors
- Technicians for Sustainability
- TM International
- White Stallion Ranch
CopperPoint Small Business Leader of the Year
- Mike Hammond, Cushman & Wakefield/PICOR
- Jeffrey Hamstra, Hamstra Heating & Cooling
- Ben Korn, Safeguard Tucson
- David Lovitt, DM Lovitt Insurance Agency
Cox Business Growth
- Andersen, Randall & Richards
- Commotion Studios
- Dean Vesling & Associates
- Excel Mechanical
- Farhang & Medcoff
- HBS Management Solutions
- Nuanced Media
- Oschmann Employee Services
- Realty Executives Tucson Elite
Nextrio Innovation through Technology
- Associates in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Automation Specialists
- GLHN Architects & Engineers
- Miramonte Homes
- New Horizons Computer Learning Center
- Paragon Space Development
- Securaplane Technologies
- Sheftel & Associates Dermatology
- Vante, A Machine Solutions Company
Tucson Electric Power Charitable Non-Profit Business
- Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum
- Autism Society Greater Tucson
- Ben’s Bells
- Educational Enrichment Foundation
- Emerge! Center Against Domestic Abuse
- Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona
- Interfaith Community Services
- Old Pueblo Community Services
- Refugee Focus
- SARSEF – Southern Arizona Research, Science and Engineering Foundation
- Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation
- Teen Outreach Pregnancy Services
- The Habistore
- Tucson Botanical Gardens
- YMCA of Southern Arizona
The Tucson Metro Chamber Copper Cactus Awards is presented by Wells Fargo and co- sponsored by Casino Del Sol Resort and Intuit.
The awards will be presented on Thursday, October 30 at Casino Del Sol Resort. Cocktails will begin at 5:00 p.m. followed by dinner and the awards ceremony at 6:30 p.m. and Copper Cactus After Hours Celebration at 9:00 p.m. The evening’s festivities will be hosted by MIX FM’s Bobby Rich and KGUN9’s April Madison.
This celebration is open to the public and tickets can be purchased at TucsonChamber.org/CopperCactus.