You have exactly seven days to get your taxes completed and filed — and that's counting weekends.

If you haven't broken out in a cold sweat, you're probably one of those super-efficient, mildly annoying people that's already completed their taxes. But if you're one of the millions that hasn't, there's still time.

Your first step should be making sure you're claiming every deduction to which you're entitled. Several articles point out the most commonly overlooked deductions. Go to and

Newsweek, at, lists six of the weirder — but entirely legal — deductions. Did you know you can write off your kid's clarinet lessons provided you can get a doctor's note stating the lessons are helping your child's orthodontia? Seriously.

If you need a laugh, check out for a list of the oddball — and often bogus — deductions that people have tried to take. If nothing else, it will give you a nice break from preparing your own return.

If your adjusted gross income is less than $57,000, you can file your federal taxes for free using one of the many third-party services listed on If your AGI is higher than this limit, you can still e-file, but you'll pay a small fee, around $10.

The IRS web site ( also has a full host of online resources to help you prepare your return as well as tools to help you determine how much you should be withholding from each paycheck.

And, after you've filed, you can track the status of your refund. Go to for Fed, and, for Arizona.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.