Volunteer: volunteer time and talents are tremendous assets to the Humane Society of Southern Arizona. There are many ways in which you can make a difference for the welfare of the animals. Volunteers can "lend a paw" in all of the following areas: Dog walking, cat & dog enrichment, foster care, offsite adoptions, special events, spay/neuter clinic, vaccination clinic, education docent, thrift store, office support.
Becoming a volunteer: The first step toward becoming a volunteer with HSSA is to attend an open house. At the open house, you will learn about HSSA, what opportunities we have for you and why you should volunteer with us. Open houses last 1.5 hours; we do ask that you plan to stay for the entires session. You do not need to RSVP, just show up! Open house sessions will starts promptly and tend to fill up very quickly. For these reasons, we cannot accept anyone who arrives more than 10 minutes late. For our evening sessions, please park outside the blue wrought iron fence. The main shelter closes at 6:00 p.m., and the gates will be locked.
UPCOMING VOLUNTEER OPEN HOUSES:
Thursday, Oct. 3, 2013, 5:30-7 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4, 2013, 11a.m.-12:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013, 9-10:30 a.m., Friday, Nov. 1, 2013, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Saturday Nov. 2, 2013, 9-10:30 a.m.
The minimum requirements to become an HSSA volunteer are that you must:
- Care about animal welfare
- Be able to make a six month commitment to volunteering
- Be at least 15 years of age to volunteer on your own. Children ages 10-14 years old may volunteer, but only under the direct supervision of a parent or adult guardian who is also a volunteer. Children under 15 will not directly handle the shelter animals.
- Have written permission of parent or guardian if you are between the ages of 15-17 years old.
- Attend a Volunteer Open House informational session (see dates above).
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation after Open House. You will be invited Volunteer Orientation after the Open House. At Volunteer Orientation, you will be asked to submit an orientation fee of $15 per person.
- Attend any additional trainings required for your specific volunteer area(s). This will be explained at Volunteer Orientation.
- Be willing to demonstrate a positive, customer-oriented attitude when dealing with the public as well as a collaborative, teamwork approach when working with staff and other volunteers.
Need more information or help? Contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 520.321.3704 ext. 126