As parents, students and teachers begin to prepare for the start of the new school year, police always warn the rest of the community to take caution near schools.
The following safety tips have been provided:
• Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods and school zones between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m.
• Take extra time to look for children at intersections, on medians and curbs.
• Enter and exit driveways slowly and carefully.
• Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings. Put down your phone and do not talk or text while driving.
• Be patient and leave early to beat the rush.