Cooking oil causes house fire in Marana - Tucson Local Media: Home

Cooking oil causes house fire in Marana

Officials estimate $20,000 in damage

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 9:54 am

Frying oil is the confirmed cause of a house fire at 9:15 p.m. Thursday night, that left two homeless, and caused $20,000 in damage.

According to Adam Goldberg, of the Northwest Fire District, they received several 911 calls from neighbors of the manufactured home, located at 12666 N. Hendricks Dr. in the Honea Heights section of Northern Marana.

When crews arrived four minutes later, they found a double-wide mobile home with fire showing through the roof.

Crews made an aggressive interior attack, and with three engine companies, a ladder company and a rescue unit, had the fire under control within 15 minutes of the arrival of the first engine.

Two male occupants of the home, the owner, 49, and his roommate, 51, were away when the fire broke out.

The homeowner was returning from a trip to the store when the first arriving engine company passed him heading to the fire. The homeowner stated that he and his roommate had finished dinner and he believed he had left the stove top on. The pair had just finished frying catfish for dinner.

Northwest Fire investigators have confirmed that the frying oil that was left on was the cause of the fire. Damages were estimated to be approximately $20,000.

No injuries were reported.

Northwest Fire District reminds everyone to never leave food cooking without an adult present. Stoves and any heating sources such as candles or space heaters should always be turned off when leaving the home or going to sleep for the evening.

© 2017 Tucson Local Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.

PGA Tour Superstore Grand Opening

More Featured Videos

Follow us on Facebook